Monday, July 12, 2010

Treasure in Heaven

While driving out of a parking lot today, I happened to find myself behind a man in a sleek black Volvo, a beautiful automobile - gotta love Swedish craftsmanship. Just below the back window he had displayed the following bumper sticker: "Don't let the car fool you; my treasure is in Heaven."

Firstly, I found the combination of materialistic pride and holier-than-thou religiosity amusing - it's nice to know that not only does he have more money than I do, BUT God also loves him more. But it was the use of the phrase "treasure in Heaven" that got me thinking. It brought to mind the text of Matthew 19:21: "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

...

Somebody appears to have missed the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment